The first church in Flatbush was built in 1654, by order of Governor Stuyvesant. He directed that the church should be sixty or sixty-five feet long, twenty-eight feet broad, and from twelve to fourteen feet under the beams; that it should be built in the form of a cross, and that the rear should be reserved for the minister’s dwelling. This building served the society for 44 years.
In 1698, the second church in Flatbush was erected on the same site. It was built of stone, facing the east, and had a steep four-sided roof, in the center of which was a small steeple.
Thomas Fardon designed the present edifice was that was built from 1793-98. The tower contains a clock and bell that are dated 1796, plus a 10-bell chime that was cast by the Meneely Foundry of Troy, N.Y., and installed in 1913. The chime is played from a traditional chimestand.
The Flatbush church occupies the site in longest continuous use for religious purposes in the city. By contrast, the first church in Flatlands was erected in 1662, and in Brooklyn in 1666. In 1979, the Flatbush Reformed Dutch Church Complex was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
Old Dutch Reformed Church, circa 1892, V1972.1.617; Early Brooklyn and Long Island photograph collection, ARC.201; Brooklyn Historical Society.